National Walking Month: Ways to Get the Whole Family Active
As part of National Walking Month 2016, people of all ages and fitness levels are trying to fit more walking into their everyday lives. Many of us lead such busy lives that simple pleasures such as going for a walk often get overlooked, but walking is a great activity for all the family and your family’s health will benefit from walking just 20 minutes a day. So whether you walk the dog, walk to school or work or go on family walks at the weekend; get involved in National Walking Month 2016.
The Benefits of Walking
Walking is a low-impact exercise that can be enjoyed by all the family regardless of their age or fitness level, all you need is your feet and a comfortable pair of shoes. Walking is not only a good way to improve your health, it can also make you look and feel better and is great for clearing the mind after a hard day or week.
Here are just some of the great benefits of walking:
● Improve your mood - introducing a short walk into your daily routine can have a huge impact on your family's mood and mental health. When we walk our bodies release the feel good hormones endorphins giving our mood an instant boost.
● Reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke - walking provides you with a good cardio walk and a brisk 30-minute walk can help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke by reducing your cholesterol levels.
● Boost energy levels - as walking boosts circulation and oxygen supply to your body, a short walk can make you feel alive and brimming with energy. Starting your day with a walk will help your family be more alert and productive throughout the day.
● Help burn calories - the best thing about walking is it’s free and much easier to fit into your daily routine than going to the gym. Fit a short walk into your daily routine by walking to school or work, getting off a train or bus a couple of stops early and walk the rest or use your feet instead of the car for short journeys to the shop. The average person could burn around 75 calories by walking at 2mph for 30 minutes, walk faster and the weight will soon drop off.
● Get toned - not only does walking help you to burn calories it also helps you to tone your legs, bottom and stomach.
Ways to Get Walking
Get the whole family excited about walking by making it fun and a great way to spend quality family time together, here are some tips on how to be more active:
● Whether you are planning on going to the cinema, swimming pool or having a picnic in the park, consider whether you could walk there and leave the car at home.
● Why not make a day of it and search for local areas that have picturesque walks, such as woodland, parks or nature trails. When planning a family day make it an active one.
● If children are reluctant to go for a walk, why not make it fun by including a scavenger hunt or a race?
Posted by Zoflora (09/05/2016)